ENVIRONMENTAL MITIGATION & RESTORATION
Charting Your Path in Environmental Markets
- Customized solution development and advisory services
- Environmental offsets market development and credit sales
- Generating asset revenues (or offsetting compliance costs) through mitigation project development
- Implementation of preservation, enhancement, and restoration projects
DEVELOP AND MONETIZE YOUR ENVIRONMENTAL UPLIFT PROJECTS
This service is a consulting engagement where our professional advisors help you to identify and attain your best position as a supplier of environmental mitigation and restoration, including carbon storage, to meet your own internal needs or to monetize in the broader marketplace. Through an iterative discovery and evaluation process, our advisors evaluate the market value potential of your realty assets, provide practical advice on the state of the market and guide deal structuring and negotiation. We can also steward the implementation of projects. The results for many of our clients have included new revenues from idle and stranded realty assets, internal alignment on go-or-no-go decision-making, cost savings in meeting compliance requirements and improved business deal outcomes.
As a result of this work, our clients are better positioned to make timely, effective business decisions about the current and prospective value of their environmental assets. This work may stem from a prior engagement of our team or it may be our starting point, depending on your needs. After working with large and mid-sized private and public clients seeking to create and exchange value in environmental markets, we noticed four common issues that create significant challenges to their success:
- Limited understanding of market dynamics, including value proposition, competitive positioning, and future outlook.
- Uncertainty about emerging and existing policy frameworks and what that means for their organization.
- Unfamiliarity with landowner-specific considerations, including baseline costs and economics, and the impacts of various project structures.
- Lack of consideration for the associated business activities such as timing of access to certain internal resources; needed business development, sales, and marketing support, and the long-term planning requirements of project commitments.
It can be risky to move your enterprise into these new spaces without the requisite knowledge and it’s also risky to bypass the opportunity to make the most of your natural capital. We partner with you in every step in your process of creating and monetizing sustainable environmental value. Achieving these outcomes from and for your environmental assets is not for the faint of heart.
It requires your organization to move into new territory: injecting new learning, taking new targeted risks and shifting embedded cultural mindsets. It takes time to identify the right strategy, develop the know-how across your team and bring these concepts into reality for your operation. Taking these actions today sets you on the path to differentiate your enterprise from those that continue to operate in the status quo and enhances your long-term social license to operate.
WHY YOU NEED THIS SERVICE
MANAGE YOUR RISKS BY LEVERAGING ENVIRONMENTAL MARKETS INSIDER EXPERTISE
Who Needs This Service?
Several types of organizations and enterprises need this service including mitigation and restoration project developers; land stewardship agencies that operate lines of business; businesses that own surface, subsurface and water rights; commercial agriculture and forestry operations and realty investment ventures.
Fortune 500 and mid-sized companies that are in resource dependent industries and public agencies that are entrusted to steward environmental resources and generate public returns also benefit from these services. Here are common elements that our clients often share:
- Makes public claims and commitments relating to environmental stewardship and sustainability.
- Directly owns and/or manages significant and diverse environmental assets.
- Invests in environmental restoration (for compliance and/or reputational benefit purposes).
- Faces highly complex environmental and business conflict issues around land use, stakeholder and community relations, and regulatory compliance.
- Desires strategic advisement about sustainability and stewardship issues beyond their in-house expertise.
CUSTOMIZED SOLUTION DEVELOPMENT FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO OF ENVIRONMENTAL ASSETS
We begin by screening and evaluating asset information to determine eligible parcels and relevant markets. We then conduct a targeted analysis of relevant markets, buyers and funding sources. Where there is suitable alignment of potential supply and demand, our advisors develop financial pro forma analyses to targeted candidate projects to support go-or-no-go business decision-making. Building on this supply and demand evaluation and the analysis of candidate projects, here are some of the activities that may be included based on the customized engagement and agreed-upon deliverables:
- Evaluation and ranking of asset holdings relative to their potential performance within compliance, voluntary, and program-driven environmental markets.
- Decision-support regarding the retention or acquisition of environmental assets.
- Financial pro forma analysis for multiple project types and markets
- Detailed training and advisement on specific markets and/or project development.
- Inform project selection, structuring, timing, and strategic partners based on market dynamics and industry knowledge.
Related future engagements can include implementation oversight and management as well as business development, sales, and marketing support for mitigation and restoration suppliers. Our work products will include agreed-upon deliverables and contain our advisements and recommended path forward. Oftentimes, initial engagements lead to a series of phased engagements where our team moves beyond initial strategic advisement to help your team implement the recommendations at an appropriate scale and pace. These phased engagements are highly attractive to ideal clients seeking to deliver consistent progress for their organization.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
TARGETED STRATEGIES FOR ENGAGING IN ENVIRONMENTAL MARKETS
This offering usually culminates in the development of customized advisory and implementation services, driving new initiatives across multiple divisions. The benefits to your organization include:
- Potential to generate new streams of savings and revenues from your portfolio of natural capital.
- Business decision support for surface, subsurface, and water rights ownership and investment related to environmental markets potential.
- Tailored strategies aligning your environmental initiatives and your public commitments.
- Improved performance outcomes from your existing stewardship programs.
- Enhanced ability to understand and influence the marketplace through competitive positioning.
How To Get Started
We work collaboratively with our client liaison, their team members and organization decision-makers to ideate, design, and deliver customized solutions. We typically progress through these phases: discovery, visioning, setting expectations, project management and advancement. This approach offers the perfect blend of formal structure and flexible application.
Our approach for engaging with each client begins with a no-obligation initial consultation and a needs assessment. Based on each client’s situation and the unique nature of this work, we may progress through several framing sessions before formalizing an engagement. This ensures clarity of scoping and a shared understanding of risks, assumptions, variables and the timing of the work.
To get started on this process, please fill out the form below.
Get Started Now
Please fill out the form below to request a consult for our Environmental Mitigation & Restoration service.